Italian Sausage and Riced Vegetable Skillet
One pot meals are great for an easy weeknight dinner and this one in particular is a great way to use up veggies that are hanging around in the fridge, so feel free to substitute things you have on hand. You could certainly serve this over rice, but it's also delicious as a stand alone meal, topped with a runny egg and a side of avocado! Make this vegetarian by using a non-GMO plant based sausage!
- 1 Tbsp. olive or avocado oil
- 1 lb. mild Italian chicken sausage (bulk or squeezed out of the casing)
- 1 bunch of kale, stems removed and chopped
- 2 x 8.5 ounce pouches of riced cauliflower or broccoli (I used one of each)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 10-12 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil when pan is hot, and add sausage, breaking up into small pieces and cooking until no longer pink (about 6-7 minutes). Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon and set aside.
In the same pan, add kale and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Add a little more olive oil if needed. Stir and cook until wilted (4-5 minutes).
Add the riced vegetables and cook another few minutes. If using frozen it will take a little longer, and if using fresh you may need to add a place of water if you notice the veggies are too dry.
Stir in garlic powder and Italian seasoning, tomatoes and tomato paste and peppers until well combined.
Top with fresh basil.