Veggie and Bacon Egg Bites
Who doesn't love a good make ahead recipe that will set you up for the week with a protein, fiber and flavor packed way to start your day! This recipe can be changed up to suit your preference, but personally, I love small hit of bacon with my mostly veggie egg bites!
- 3 slices bacon (preferably nitrate free)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups chopped baby kale or spinach
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degree. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with silicone liners or coat with butter, avocado oil or coconut oil spray.
2. In a medium non-stick skillet, cook bacon over medium-high, for 6-8 minutes, turning once. Remove bacon from skillet and place on a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb some of the fat.
Crumble when cooled.
3. Meanwhile, add onion and bell pepper to the skillet, cooking until soft (3-4 minutes). Add spinach or kale and stir until wilted.
4. Whisk eggs, milk and spices in a large bowl. Add cooked vegetables, bacon and cheese, stirring until combined . Distribute evenly into prepared muffin tin and bake for 30 minutes until set.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or wrap separately to store in the freezer for future use. Don't be afraid to serve with hot sauce to take these guys to the next level!
Makes 12 regular muffins or 24 mini muffins.